If you have a large block in Adelaide or South Australia and are considering subdividing your land, you will find yourself looking for a surveyor before too long.

We work with surveyors throughout South Australia and can even recommend some to you. Yet another benefit of forging a lifelong relationship with your conveyancer!

If you’ve never engaged a licensed surveyor before, I’ll map out the process you will need to follow.

What is a surveyor?

A surveyor is someone who creates, maps or plans based upon observing and measuring natural and man-made features of the environment.

The type of surveying you will need for a subdivision or development is cadastral surveying which deals with land ownership, land measurement and the delineation of boundaries between properties.

In South Australia, only licensed surveyors can define property boundaries, which they do by placing survey marks.

When is the right time to contact a surveyor?

We would argue that before you engage a surveyor it’s best to measure out your proposed land division and then firstly run the idea past your council.

Typically, this initial assessment can highlight any major barriers you might face or give you an indication that your proposal is likely to meet requirements.

If the Council hasn’t provided sny barriers, you are now ready to appoint a surveyor.

Your licensed surveyor will carry out all the surveys needed to mark boundaries and easements, and will also prepare the Development Application form and then lodging it with the Development Assessment Commission (DAC) for approval.

Your surveyor will forward your application to a number of other bodies as well to ensure all relevant authorities have been consulted.

Throughout the process, your surveyor should keep you up-to-date with your application’s progress, let you know what fees should be paid when, and then take possession of the final Land/Community Division Certificate of Approval.

And your conveyancer will navigate the home stretch

As with many things in the realm of real estate and land titles, your conveyancer will again play the important role of finalising the process.

When your surveyor hands over the Certificate of Approval and the division plan, we can then prepare the rest of the paperwork, arrange relevant consents with the Lands Titles Office, and then finalise the transaction.

Land divisions and community divisions can be exciting worthwhile developments with, of course, much potential for things to go wrong.

Just remember, surrounding yourself with professionals who have guided many developments to fruition will be a prudent move to protect your venture and your assets.